problem python

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Wed Jun 6 09:29:18 EDT 2012

Tom King wrote:

[Please hit "reply-all" in your email client when you answer a post. That
way it will appear on the mailing list and give more people a chance to
answer]

>>> when i type python in my command line console i get an error message
>>>
>>> 'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
>>> Python 2.4.3 (#1, May  5 2011, 18:44:23)
>>> [GCC 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-50)] on linux2
>>> Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.

>>> what is going on and how i can fix it
>>> thanks in andvance
>>
>> Did you write a module site.py yourself? If so rename it and don't forget
>> to remove the corresponding site.pyc. If that doesn't help invoke python
>> with
>>
>> $ python -S
>>
>> and then import site explicitly in the interactive interpreter:

>> You should get a traceback. If you cut and paste it and show it to us we
>> might tell you more.

> thank you Peter for your response i followed your instructions and
> get this time
>
>  python -S
> Python 2.4.3 (#1, May  5 2011, 18:44:23)
> [GCC 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-50)] on linux2
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> ImportError: No module named site

So the file seems to be missing indeed. Frankly, that's not what I expected,
and I don't know how to proceed from here. Can you import other modules, e.
g.

>>> import dis

? What does

>>> import sys