docx/lxml

Cyrille Leroux cyrille.leroux at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 11:01:48 EDT 2012

On Tuesday, July 31, 2012 4:00:25 PM UTC+2, Pedro Kroger wrote:
> On Jul 31, 2012, at 10:36 AM, Cyrille Leroux wrote:
>

> > - Do you know any *easy to use*, *easy to deploy* package to generate ".doc like" documents ?
>
> > - Do you have any suggestion to do it differently (maybe with native packages ?)
>

> > - As a python newby, I don't understand why you have to go through the pain of installing packages since they should be able to work with just the __init__.py files ?
>

> > Regards,
>

> > Cyrille
>

> Hi,
>

> May I suggest you use pip and, possibly, virtualenv?
>
> pip makes it easy to install Python packages while virtualenv creates an isolated Python environment
>

> For instance, I just installed docx and its dependencies with:
>

> pip install docx lxml datutils PIL
>

> And I did that inside a testing virtualenv, so I wouldn't mess up my Python setup.
>

> pip and virtualenv make it really easy and painless to install Python packages.
>

> Cheers,
>

> Pedro
>
> -----
>
> http://pedrokroger.net
>
> http://musicforgeeksandnerds.com

Thank you for your quick reply Pedro.

I'm giving pip a try :

1/ Linux (debian lenny)
- (as root) sh setuptools-0.6c11-py2.7.egg (ok)
- (as root) cd pip-1.1 ; python setup.py install (ok)
- pip : ImportError : No module named pkg_resources
- damn, I guess it's going to be a pain, again
- ... then I remember that anyway, I cannot access internet from my session
- end of story for linux

2/ Back on Windows (7)

- setuptools-0.6c11.win32-py2.7.exe (ok)
- (cmd) easy_install.exe pip : AttributeError : 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'clone'

Well, I think I'm starting to feel less and less enthusiastic about python... I didn't suspect it would be so difficult to write a basic doc file :)