OT: Text editors

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Jul 29 04:24:38 EDT 2012

rusi <rustompmody at gmail.com> writes:

> Do you use the emacs builtin python mode or the separate python-mode?

I'm not sure. I have both installed.

I try to keep my Emacs setup portable across different machines, so I'm
probably using the built-in mode.

> Do you use pdb?

Occasionally, but I haven't learned how to do that in Emacs.

> Any other special setups?

GNU Screen and Emacs are the foundation of my programming environment.

> How about ipython?

Never really liked it nor saw a need for it. I use the Python
interactive console, with GNU readline so I get history preserved and
tab-completion.

> But I am getting increasing 'funny looks' for not (for example) using
> eclipse.]

Unless those funny looks are accompanied by compelling reasons to invest
a whole lot of effort into learning a rather slow and complex program,
then it seems you can ignore them.

--
 \      “The way to build large Python applications is to componentize |
  `\             and loosely-couple the hell out of everything.” —Aahz |