OT: Text editors

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 01:36:56 EDT 2012

On Jul 29, 10:08 am, Ben Finney <ben+pyt... at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Tim Chase <python.l... at tim.thechases.com> writes:
> > On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 6:29 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> > > I highly recommend the use of notepad++.  If anyone knows of a
> > > better text editor for Windows please let me know :)

I would have bet Mark was ribbing the folks on this list.
Maybe you were not Mark? [Well you did say notepad++ not notepad]
But to get a bit more serious...

> I highly recommend not tying your editor skills to a single OS,
> especially one as ornery for programmers as Windows.
>
> > I'll advocate for Vim which is crazy-powerful and works nicely on
> > just about any platform I touch.
>
> > Others will advocate for Emacs, which I can't say fits the way my
> > brain works but it's also powerful and loved by many.
>
> Right. I'm in Tim's position, but reversed: my preference is for Emacs
> but Vim is a fine choice also. They are mature, well-supported with
> regular updates and a massive library of plug-ins for different uses,
> have a huge community to help you, and work on all major programming
> OSen.
>
> > The ubiquity of these two platforms makes a worthwhile investment of
> > time spent in learning at least one if not both.
>
> I use both frequently in my work for different things, and they are good
> for pretty much any task involving manipulation of text.
>
> Learn one of Emacs or Vim well, and you won't need to worry about text
> editors again.

Just curious about your emacs+python usage.
Do you use the emacs builtin python mode or the separate python-mode?
Do you use pdb?
Any other special setups?
How about ipython?

[Personal note: Ive been using and teaching python with emacs for over
10 years now.
But I am getting increasing 'funny looks' for not (for example) using
eclipse.]