My first ever Python program, comments welcome

Lipska the Kat lipska at lipskathekat.com
Sun Jul 22 13:23:26 EDT 2012

On 22/07/12 17:18, rusi wrote:
> On Jul 22, 2:20 pm, Lipska the Kat<lip... at lipskathekat.com>  wrote:
>
>> Well I have to say that I've used Eclipse with the myEclipse plugin for
>> a number of years now and although it has it's moments it has earned me
>> LOADS of MONEY so I can't really criticise it.
>
> Ive probably tried to use eclipse about 4 times in the last 8 years.
> Always run away in terror.
> Still I'm never sure whether eclipse is stupid or I am...
>
> First time I'm hearing of myEclipse. Thanks. What does it have/do that
> standard eclipse (JDT?) does not?

Eclipse for Java supports development of 'standard' Java applications
that is applications that use the standard Java Distributions (JDK).
MyEclipse adds support for J2EE and a bunch of other stuff. I used it
mainly for jsp syntax highlighting, HTML syntax highlighting and Servlet
development. It's marketed as a J2EE and web development IDE. It comes
with an embedded Tomcat server and some versions support common
frameworks such as Spring and Hibernate. Struts is supported by default
I think although I always stayed away from frameworks when I could. I
preferred to write Java rather than XML :-) Check out
http://www.myeclipseide.com/ for an example of marketing bling.

>> Python and eclipse ... Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ;-)

> Very curious about this.  You made 'Loads of money' with eclipse but
> want to stay away from it?
> Simply cannot make out this thing called 'java-programmer-culture'...

How dare you sir, I'm not a Java programmer I am a 'retired' software
engineer ;-)

Heh heh, Nothing to do with Eclipse, just another thing to get my head
around. For work and Java IMHO you can't beat eclipse... at the moment
I'm getting my head around git, reminding myself of C, learning Python
and re-learning make. Enough already; but if there's a python plugin I
guess I'll get around to it eventually

Lipska

--
Lipska the Kat: Troll hunter, Sandbox destroyer
and Farscape dreamer of Aeryn Sun.