ANN: dbf.py 0.94

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Fri Jul 20 23:26:25 EDT 2012

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 16:59:21 -0700, Ethan Furman wrote:
>
>> Getting closer to a stable release.
>
> Excellent! That's fantastic news! I've been waiting for a stable release
> of dbf for months! I just have one question.
>
> What is dbf?

:)

dbf (also known as python dbase) is a module for reading/writing
dBase III, FP, VFP, and soon Clipper, .dbf database files.  It's
an ancient format that still finds lots of use.

It even reads and writes memo fields -- something which none of the
other modules do (which is why I wrote this one -- I needed that! ;).

It supports unicode, and returns all fields as native Python types:

   Character --> unicode
   Date      --> datetime.date
   Logical   --> bool/None
   Memo      --> unicode
   Numeric   --> int/float depending on field definition

If a field is uninitialized (Date, Logical, Numeric) then None is
returned for the value.

Tables are accessible as lists; Records are accessible as lists, dicts,
and objects ( attribute access ).

Enjoy your weekend!