Encapsulation, inheritance and polymorphism

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 11:09:35 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 12:48 AM, Lipska the Kat
<lipska at lipskathekat.com> wrote:
> hmm, I've been using tabs ... still, why use one key press when you can use
> 4 ;-).  Actually I quite like this aspect of Python, it's rapidly growing on
> me. Wonder if I could introduce this in a future release of Java ... nah,
> I'd be dead within a week %-(

First let's get Python working properly. The "from __future__ import
braces" statement still doesn't work on any of the released versions.
After that, we can consider fixing Java to do the converse. We must
meet half way, you know.

As to tab vs spaces: I'm a fan of tabs, myself. There was an argument
over the matter last year at work, and we settled on tabs because the
one guy who reckons 1-2 space indent is plenty was then able to just
set his editor to two-space tabs, and the rest of us could use a more
reasonable width. Using tab characters in the file gives this
flexibility. It separates the lexical structure ("this is three blocks
in") from the visual display ("draw these glyphs 35mm from the left
margin").

ChrisA