Python 2.6 on Mac 10.7 doesn't work

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Tue Jul 17 17:02:00 EDT 2012

In article <5005927a$0$6949$e4fe514c at news2.news.xs4all.nl>,
 Hans Mulder <hansmu at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On 17/07/12 15:47:05, Naser Nikandish wrote:
> > I am trying to install Python 2.6 on Mac OS Lion. Here is what I did:
> >
> > 1- Download Mac Installer disk image (2.6) (sig)   from
> >    http://www.python.org/getit/releases/2.6/
> >
> > 2- Install it
> >
> > 3- Run Python Luncher, go to Python Luncher preferences, and change the
> >    interpreter to
> >    Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/pythonw
> >
> > Now that I want to open IDLE and open my old projects, it doesn't run!
> > Is there anything that I am missing?
>
> You may be missing a leading slash.  The path to pythonw is
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/pythonw

Also keep in mind that Python 2.6 has been moved to security-fix-only
mode which, among other things, means that new binary installers for OS
X are not being made.  The most recent OS X binary installer was 2.6.6.
The system Python in OS X 10.7 Lion is 2.6.7.  There has been one
additional security fix release for 2.6 (2.6.8) since then.  If you need
Python 2, you really should consider moving to Python 2.7, which is
already at 2.7.3 and is fully maintained.  (The most recent Python 3
release is 3.2.3, also fully maintained.)

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org