Python 2.6 on Mac 10.7 doesn't work

Hans Mulder hansmu at xs4all.nl
Tue Jul 17 12:27:37 EDT 2012

On 17/07/12 15:47:05, Naser Nikandish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install Python 2.6 on Mac OS Lion. Here is what I did:
>
> 1- Download Mac Installer disk image (2.6) (sig)   from
>    http://www.python.org/getit/releases/2.6/
>
> 2- Install it
>
> 3- Run Python Luncher, go to Python Luncher preferences, and change the
>    interpreter to Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/pythonw
>
> Now that I want to open IDLE and open my old projects, it doesn't run!
> Is there anything that I am missing?

You may be missing a leading slash.  The path to pythonw is
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/pythonw

> oh btw, I used to use Python 2.6.7 that comes preinstalled on Mac OS.

That could also be the problem.  You could try using the Python you've
downloaded in step 1.

> I really appreciate your help.

You could try opening /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and running:

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/pyt\
hon /Applications/Python\ 2.6/IDLE.app/Contents/MacOS/IDLE

(you can type it one two lines, as shown, or as a single rather long
line, leaving out the backslash-newline).

That should run Idle, or, if it doesn't, it should give you a useful
error message.

Hope this helps,

-- HansM