Tkinter.event.widget: handler gets name instead of widget.

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Jul 13 19:23:53 EDT 2012

On 7/13/2012 4:24 PM, Frederic Rentsch wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-07-13 at 09:26 +0200, Peter Otten wrote:

>> Another random idea: run your code on a more recent python/tcl installation.

That might have been clearer as python + tcl/tk installation.

>     I next spent a day with an attempt to upgrade to Python 2.7.3,
> figuring that that might simultaneously take care of upgrading tcl.

No, two completely separate actions.

> ... build finished, but the necessary bits to build these modules were
> not found:
>
> _bsddb
> _curses
> _curses_panel
> _sqlite3
> _ssl
> _tkinter
> bsddb185
> bz2
> dbm
> gdbm
> readline
> sunaudiodev

I believe _tkinter is the only one of those you need to run idle.

You need tcl/tk installed/compiled first to compile python with
_tkinter. Easier on *nix than windows. Many *nix systems come with
tcl/tk or easily install it with their package managers (same with some
of the other prerequisites for other modules).

--
Terry Jan Reedy