Tkinter.event.widget: handler gets name instead of widget.

Frederic Rentsch anthra.norell at bluewin.ch
Fri Jul 13 16:24:59 EDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-07-13 at 09:26 +0200, Peter Otten wrote:
> Frederic Rentsch wrote:
>
> > I'm sorry I can't post an intelligible piece that does NOT work. I
> > obviously can't post the whole thing.
>
> How about a pastebin then? Or even bitbucket/github as you need to track
> changes anyway?
>
> > It is way too convoluted.
>
> "Convoluted" code is much easier to debug than no code ;)
>
> Another random idea: run your code on a more recent python/tcl installation.
> If you are lucky you get a different error.

So many good ideas! I can hardly keep up. Let me try anyway.

I hesitate to ask dumb questions, but I guess I have to. What is
python/tcl? I enlisted Google, Synaptic, apt-cache, apt-get, dpkg and
scouring the profusion I couldn't detect any actionable piece of
information, undoubtedly due to my modest expertise in matters of system
administration.
   I next spent a day with an attempt to upgrade to Python 2.7.3,
figuring that that might simultaneously take care of upgrading tcl.
Accustomed to installing packages I had to venture into the unknown
territory of compiling source, because no package was available.
(Windows, Apple, yes. Linux, no). The compile went smoothly, but ended
like this:

... build finished, but the necessary bits to build these modules were
not found:

_bsddb
_curses
_curses_panel
_sqlite3
_ssl
_tkinter
bsddb185
bz2
dbm
gdbm
readline
sunaudiodev

To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for the
module's name.

I didn't know what to look for in setup.py, spent a couple of hours
turning stones and encountered evidence of a bunch of missing header
files, probably of other modules which I had installed rather than
compiled.
   2.7.3 came up in terminals, but not in an IDLE window. No wonder,
_tkinter was reported not found; and so many others with it that,
anxious to get on, I stopped venturing further into this labyrinth,
erased everything 2.7.3 and now I'm back to 2.6 and would greatly
appreciate advice on upgrading python/tcl.

I shall look at pastebin and bitbucket/github right away.

Frederic