Python Interview Questions

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Mon Jul 9 20:19:51 EDT 2012

On 07/09/12 19:01, dncarac at gmail.com wrote:
> The set of questions I'm not sure I understand is the 'What
> version did ... appear?' questions.  This, to me, doesn't seem to
> indicate any programming experience or expertise.  A question
> asking 'Do you understand different versions?' and 'How would you
> find out whether a particular version can do a particular thing?'
> (i.e. which version can you use on GAE?) would seem to give good
> information.

The reason *I* ask them is that we have some 2.4 installations
(where things like "with" aren't available) and at the time I typed
up the list, there was some earlier 2.2 and 2.3 code out there where
decorators or sqlite[*] didn't work.

So I guess it's a bit of a "how long have they been programming in
python" experience aspect.  Programmers that have been around a
while often remember the frustration of $FEATURE_LACK and then the
relief of a much better way to do it.  The functionality of
decorators was around far earlier, but the clean syntactic sugar
made it much nicer to use.  The sqlite/sqlite3 libraries were
around, but you had to install them yourself (whether from source, a
custom installer, or your package manager).

As mentioned in another branch of this thread, I don't require
python historians, but do prefer folks that know which features to
check availability for deployment.

-tkc

[*] without installing an add-on