Discussion on some Code Issues

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 13:17:00 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 3:05 AM,  <subhabangalore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, July 8, 2012 1:33:25 PM UTC+5:30, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 3:42 PM,  <subhabangalore at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > file_open=open("/python32/doc1.txt","r")
>> Also, as has already been mentioned: keeping your data files in the
>> Python binaries directory isn't usually a good idea. More common to
>> keep them in the same directory as your script, which would mean that
>> you don't need a path on it at all.
> No file path! Amazing. I do not know I like to know one small example please.

open("doc1.txt","r")

Python will look for a file called doc1.txt in the directory you run
the script from (which is often going to be the same directory as your
.py program).

> Btw, some earlier post said, line.split() to convert line into bag of words can be done with power(), but I did not find it, if any one can help. I do close files do not worry. New style I'd try.

I don't know what power() function you're talking about, and can't
find it in the previous posts; the nearest I can find is a post from
Ranting Rick which says a lot of guff that you can ignore. (Rick is a
professional troll. Occasionally he says something useful and
courteous; more often it's one or the other, or neither.)

As to the closing of files: There are a few narrow issues that make it
worth using the 'with' statement, such as exceptions; mostly, it's
just a good habit to get into. If you ignore it, your file will
*usually* be closed fairly soon after you stop referencing it, but
there's no guarantee. (Someone else will doubtless correct me if I'm
wrong, but I'm pretty sure Python guarantees to properly flush and
close on exit, but not necessarily before.)

ChrisA