stuck in files!!

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 18:13:51 EDT 2012

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 4:21 AM, Alex <foo at email.invalid> wrote:
> Chirag B wrote:
>
>> i want to kno how to link two applications using python for eg:notepad
>> txt file and some docx file. like i wat to kno how to take path of
>> those to files and run them simultaneously.like if i type something in
>> notepad it has to come in wordpad whenever i run that code.
>
> Text and docx files are not "applications"; you don't "run" them. You
> can "open" them with applications like Notepad or Microsoft Word, and
> you can open two files simultaneously in two different applications (or
> in two windows within the same application).
>
> Other than that, I don't understand what you mean by "link" them or
> what it means for something typed in Notepad to "come in wordpad."

The nearest I can think of has nothing to do with Python, but all to
do with the applications concerned: DDE. Back in the early 90s it was
a much-touted technology on OS/2 - you could fire up Mesa
(spreadsheet), hotlink a particular group of cells to a table in
DeScribe, edit one and see the other change instantly. It was pretty
cool for its day.

How you'd go about implementing it today I don't know, but there's a
few options available. Really depends on what the OP actually wants to
achieve: Duplicate typing, shared text, simultaneous editing?

ChrisA