when "normal" parallel computations in CPython will be implemented at last?

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Tue Jul 3 23:16:29 EDT 2012

John Nagle <nagle at animats.com> wrote:

>    It would be "un-Pythonic" to have real concurrency in Python.
>You wouldn't be able to patch code running in one thread from
>another thread.  Some of the dynamic features of Python
>would break.   If you want fine-grained concurrency, you need
>controlled isolation between concurrent tasks, so they interact
>only at well-defined points.  That's un-Pythonic.

I disagree.  The situation in Python is no different than the situation in
other programming languages.  If you have shared state, you protect it with
some kind of lock.  After all, you don't patch code on a byte-by-byte basis
-- you just change function bindings.  That can be done atomically.
Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.