when "normal" parallel computations in CPython will be implemented at last?

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Mon Jul 2 13:51:36 EDT 2012

On 7/1/2012 10:51 AM, dmitrey wrote:
> hi all,
> are there any information about upcoming availability of parallel
> computations in CPython without modules like  multiprocessing? I mean
> something like parallel "for" loops, or, at least, something without
> forking with copying huge amounts of RAM each time and possibility to
> involve unpiclable data (vfork would be ok, but AFAIK it doesn't work
> with CPython due to GIL).
>
> AFAIK in PyPy some progress have been done (
> http://morepypy.blogspot.com/2012/06/stm-with-threads.html )
>
> Thank you in advance, D.

    It would be "un-Pythonic" to have real concurrency in Python.
You wouldn't be able to patch code running in one thread from
another thread.  Some of the dynamic features of Python
would break.   If you want fine-grained concurrency, you need
controlled isolation between concurrent tasks, so they interact
only at well-defined points.  That's un-Pythonic.

				John Nagle