The devolution of English language and slothful c.l.p behaviors exposed!

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Jan 24 11:25:23 EST 2012

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 09:21:37 +0100, Jérôme wrote:

> Mon, 23 Jan 2012 21:57:16 -0800 (PST) Rick Johnson a écrit:

>> Of course, "used to" and "supposed to" will require people to rethink
>> there lazy and slothful ways.
>
> I don't even see the problem with those...
>
> As someone already said, english is a foreign language to a lot of us.
> While we're doing our best to make ourselves understood, your attitude
> can be seen as quite rude. (Does "quite" fit right as a "pretty"
> replacement ?)

I am a native English speaker, and I can assure you that most of the
things Rick complains about are perfectly acceptable idiomatic English
expressions. The one exception is "used to", where there is some debate.
My wife, for example, hates it, while I consider it unremarkable.

Rick is a known and long-time troll here. You shouldn't take him too
seriously.

(P.S. in future, please trim the quoted text of your replies, there's no
need to quote the entire email, only the parts you are replying to and
enough to give context.)

--
Steven