python logging filter limitation, looks intentional?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Jan 20 15:09:31 EST 2012

On 1/20/2012 2:17 PM, Vinay Sajip wrote:

>> This is not a general policy, else we would never add new features ;-)
>> Do you plan to keep logging feature-frozen forever, or just for another
>> release? (I actually think is a good idea to fix bugs, tests, and docs
>> first.)
>
> Logging isn't by any means feature-frozen - new features are being
> added all the time, including non-trivial additions made in 2.7 and
> 3.2, and some more changes planned for 3.3 and already checked in. My
> comment was about the specific change proposed, which if implemented
> could lead to existing working third party code failing after a Python
> version upgrade. The proposed change isn't a new feature, it's a
> request for an existing feature to work differently.

Thank you for the clarification. I had not gotten that the request was
for a change, which has a much higher bar to pass than feature
additions. I was thinking of 'code differently' as in

if sys.version.split()[0] >= '3.3': <use snazzy new feature>
else: <use klutzy old workaround>

but that is not a 'have to' as long as the workaround still works.

--
Terry Jan Reedy