python logging filter limitation, looks intentional?

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 20 14:17:36 EST 2012

On Jan 19, 12:50 am, Terry Reedy <tjre... at udel.edu> wrote:

> >> I don't want people to have to code differently for Python 3.3 and for
> >> older versions.
>
> This is not a general policy, else we would never add new features ;-)
> Do you plan to keep logging feature-frozen forever, or just for another
> release? (I actually think is a good idea to fix bugs, tests, and docs
> first.)

Logging isn't by any means feature-frozen - new features are being
added all the time, including non-trivial additions made in 2.7 and
3.2, and some more changes planned for 3.3 and already checked in. My
comment was about the specific change proposed, which if implemented
could lead to existing working third party code failing after a Python
version upgrade. The proposed change isn't a new feature, it's a
request for an existing feature to work differently.

Apart from the behavioural change, there is also a performance
implication which needs to be considered. All in all, I'm not sure
there is a lot of demand for this proposed change, and I have already
suggested a workable approach to Chris which should meet his needs
without any need for a behavioural change in the standard library.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip