readline for mac python? (really, reproducing mac python packages)

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Tue Jan 3 00:32:21 EST 2012

In article <cxnMq.50333$Dr1.19823 at newsfe08.iad>,
 K Richard Pixley <rich at noir.com> wrote:
> On 1/1/12 19:04 , K Richard Pixley wrote:
> > On 1/1/12 16:49 , K Richard Pixley wrote:
> >> I'm having trouble finding a reasonable python environment on mac.
> >>
> >> The supplied binaries, (2.7.2, 3.2.2), are built with old versions of
> >> macosx and are not capable of building any third party packages that
> >> require gcc.
> >>
> >> The source builds easily enough out of the box, (./configure
> >> --enable-framework && make && sudo make install), but when I do that, I
> >> end up with a python interpreter that lacks readline.
> >>
> >> How do I get readline involved?
> >>
> >> Or better... is there an instruction sheet somewhere on how to reproduce
> >> the python.org binary packages?
> >>
> >> --rich
> >
> > Bah. I just needed to dig a little deeper into the source. All the doc I
> > wanted is in there.
>
> Well, partial victory.  2.7.2 builds.  3.2 doesn't.

As you may have discovered, by default the python.org Python 2.7.x and
3.2.x on OS X 10.6 and above will link with the readline compatibility
layer supplied with BSD editline (libedit) shipped by Apple.  The
Apple-suppled system Pythons also link with editline.  While it is
possible to link with your own version of GNU readline, there is also a
readline project listed on PyPI that supplies pre-compiled versions of
the Python readline module linked with GNU readline.  I believe they are
intended primarily for the system Pythons; I have not tried them myself
with the python.org versions.

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/readline

--
 Ned Deily,