SnakeScript? (CoffeeScript for Python)

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Fri Feb 3 05:42:47 EST 2012

On 3.2.2012 02:19, Ian Kelly wrote:
>> Then how are you going to maintain the code? Maintain the compiled
>> code or the source?
>
> As with all compiled software, you maintain the input, not the output.

I don't think that's what was the question. CoffeeScript is a hopeless
hack in the hopeless situation of Javascript world where no language
development is available (meaning, time between filing a bug to the
moment the change is useful in The Real World™ is many many years).

Ask anybody developing in CoffeeScript/Vala how much they love debugging
when they have to go through different styles of errors, bugs in the
intermediate processes, etc. In the end all these languages IMHO either
develop a new frontend for gcc/clang/PyPy (or fork of CPython) or die,
because the former is not that much more difficult than writing your
preprocessor, I believe.

Best,

Matěj