Komodo 7 release (Python development tools)

Todd Whiteman toddw at activestate.com
Wed Feb 8 15:14:13 EST 2012

Hello,

My name is Todd. I'm the lead developer for Komodo IDE (Interactive
Development Environment) and Komodo Edit (a free, open-source editor) at
ActiveState. I wanted to announce that the newest version, Komodo 7, has
been released:

     http://www.activestate.com/komodo-ide

Python has long been one of the main languages supported by Komodo, so
we're always getting useful feedback and suggestions. For Komodo 7,
we've incorporated a lot of this feedback into enhancing our Python
features.

* Python Code Profiling (IDE only)
   Users have asked if there is a way to find out why their programs are
taking so long to run. Komodo IDE 7 can show a graph of the methods and
calls made by your program, so that you can detect where your CPU is
being taken up.

* Sophisticated Syntax Checking
   Choose between multiple syntax checkers like PyLint, PyFlakes and
PyChecker. Provides language-specific syntax checking for
CSS/JavaScript/Django inside HTML template languages like Django.

* Code Collaboration (IDE only)
   We wanted to make pair programming easier. With the collaboration
feature, multiple users can edit a document at the same time. It's kind
of like Google Docs, but for code editing!

* Speed
   With Komodo 7 you'll notice a lot snappier Komodo start-up time,
lower CPU utilization - particularly when idle, and lower memory usage
for large projects.

* Even more...
   There are way more features in Komodo 7 than I can outline in a
single post, so check out the online web pages for more Komodo 7
enhancements:

     http://www.activestate.com/komodo-ide/python-editor

Again, note that Komodo comes in two different flavours:

   1) Komodo Edit - completely free and fully open-source editor,
offering smart code completions, syntax checking, code colorizing,
sophisticated editing and more.

   2) Komodo IDE - a full featured IDE, offering advanced debugging,
interactive shells, code browsing, source code control, database
integration, unit testing, regular expression tools and more.

Try out Komodo 7 and let me know what you think. We really appreciate
the support and feedback!

Cheers,
Todd