noob can't install python modules/scripts

lostguru aznjedi585 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 23:40:59 EST 2012

sorry about that; I was using the setuptools package from pypi python [ http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools ]; I downloaded the ez_setup.py file from under the 64-bit windows installation section and ran that (by double clicking on it, I hope this wasn't another noob mistake lol)

> It looks like you tried to run the easy_install command from inside the
>
> Python interactive interpreter, rather than from your system shell.
>

> The system shell (command.com or cmd.exe I guess) will have a $ or % sign
>
> as the prompt. Python usually has >>> as the prompt, although if you are
>
> running ActivePython it may be something else. You need to run the
>
> "easy_install BeautifulSoup4" command from the system shell, not Python.
>

> Try that, and if there's another error, please copy and paste the exact
>
> command you used, and the full error message.

running easy_install from the command line worked and BeautifulSoup4 seems to have installed, thanks for pointing out my mistake

the only problem I have now is that importing beautifulsoup into a .py file I wrote generates an error (I'm using ActiveState Komodo Edit 7, is there another program you would recommend to a beginner like me?)

trying to run the script gives an import error:
ImportError: No module named BeautifulSoup

importing other modules like os and urllib that came with the python installation work without problems

looking online, all I've found were other accounts talking about a beautifulsoup.py that should be in the C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages directory, but I've found no such thing from the installation anywhere in the Python folder (funnily enough, I did a drive search with Everything and found a BeautifulSoup.py in my autodesk maya installation)

am I somewhere near the mark? or am I off completely?