noob can't install python modules/scripts

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Dec 28 23:12:19 EST 2012

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 17:45:56 -0800, lostguru wrote:

> using easy_install as an example, I downloaded the .py script the
> website told me to use for 64-bit installations, and ran it;

"The website"? There's more than one website on the Internet. Which
website are you referring to? What .py script did you download? How did
you run it? Details are important!

> as far as I
> know nothing happened (was I supposed to put it in a specific folder
> first before running it?) and trying to type "easy_install" into python
> gives me this:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in <module>
>     easy_install
> NameError: name 'easy_install' is not defined
>
> trying to type "easy_install BeautifulSoup4" gives me this:
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax

It looks like you tried to run the easy_install command from inside the
Python interactive interpreter, rather than from your system shell.

The system shell (command.com or cmd.exe I guess) will have a $ or % sign
as the prompt. Python usually has >>> as the prompt, although if you are
running ActivePython it may be something else. You need to run the
"easy_install BeautifulSoup4" command from the system shell, not Python.

Try that, and if there's another error, please copy and paste the exact
command you used, and the full error message.

--
Steven