How to get time.strptime()?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Dec 26 23:40:02 EST 2012

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 19:09:51 -0800, Gnarlodious wrote:

> This is problem that has unduly vexed me. When you start learning Python
> they don't tell you about these sharp edges.

"Hi, I've just started learning Python today, and I have a question. How
do I print a list?"

"Before I answer that question, let me explain to you how to fix a
problem with time.strptime that only occurs when running under mod_wsgi.
Now, I know that you're still struggling with print, haven't even got to
importing modules yet, have no idea what strptime is, and that 99.99% of
Python programmers will never use mod_wsgi in their life, but if we don't
tell you about this right now, in five years time you will complain that
nobody told you about the sharp edges when you started..."

*wink*

A serious question: when should somebody have told you about this sharp
edge, and who should have been responsible to do so?

--
Steven