[Help] [Newbie] Require help migrating from Perl to Python 2.7 (namespaces)

Alexander Blinne news at blinne.net
Mon Dec 24 08:10:23 EST 2012

At this point I think i could just refer to my other 2 postings and urge
you to read them again. They offer the idea of encapsulating the
function QuerySqlite into a method of an object that can be passed over
to some object (possibly throu the __init__-method) and store it in an
attribute of that other object. Those other objects can then simply call
the method belonging to the object.
If you really don't understand what I mean by this maybe you should
learn a bit about the basics of object-oriented programming.
Some pseudo-code illustrating this idea (which differs a bit from the
first singleton-like suggestion):

datastore.py:

class Datastore(object):
    def __init__(self, some_args):
        #do all things needed to open datastore and store everything to
        #self.something and self.someotherthing

    def query(self, query, *values):
        #execute query with values inserted
        #using self.something and self.someotherting
        #return result

modbus.py:

class Modbus(self):
    def __init__(self, datastore):
        #store the argument datastore to an attribute of the newly
        #created object
        self.datastore = datastore

    def read_bus(self, sensor):
        #read from bus the value of sensor and return value

    def read_temp_and_store(self, sensor):
        #read and store
        value = self.read_bus(sensor)
        self.datastore.query("some query string", value)

scheduler.py:

class Scheduler(object):
    def __init__(self, datastore, modbus):
        #store the arguments datastore and modbus to attributes
        #of the newly created object
        self.datastore = datastore
        self.modbus = modbus
        #maybe read some config data from datastore
        self.config = self.datastore.query("some initialising query if
necessary")

    def do_things(self):
        #do things you wanna do, perhaps in some loop or in a thread or
        #something, does not really matter.
        #Threading may require locking of some kind, but this also is
        #not really related to your problem as I understand ist.
        self.modbus.read_temp_and_store("sensor1")

main.py:

from scheduler import Scheduler
from datastore import Datastore
from modbus import Modbus

def main():
    datastore = Datastore(some_args)
    modbus = Modbus(datastore)
    scheduler = Scheduler(datastore, modbus)

    scheduler.do_things()

if __name__=="__main__":
    main()

Please feel free to ask specific questions about this approach.

merry christmas everyone
Alexander Blinne