[Help] [Newbie] Require help migrating from Perl to Python 2.7 (namespaces)

prilisauer at googlemail.com prilisauer at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 22 07:38:11 EST 2012

Am Samstag, 22. Dezember 2012 12:43:54 UTC+1 schrieb Peter Otten:
>  wrote:
>

> > Hello, to all,
>

> > I hope I can describe me problem correctly.
>

> > I have written a Project split up to one Main.py and different modules
>
> > which are loaded using import and here is also my problem:
>

> > 1. Main.py executes:
>
> > 2. Import modules
>
> > 3. One of the Modules is a SqliteDB datastore.
>
> > 4. A second module creates an IPC socket.
>
> > 5. Here is now my problem :
>
> >     The IPC Socket should run a sub which is stored ad SqliteDB and
>
> >     returns all Rows.
>

> > Is there a elegant way to solve it? except a Queue. Is it possible to
>
> > import modules multiple?!
>

> If you import a module more than once code on the module level will be
>
> executed the first time only. Subsequent imports will find the ready-to-use
>
> module object in a cache (sys.modules).
>

> > I'm unsure because the open DB file at another
>
> > module.
>

> > How is this solved in bigger projects?
>

> If I'm understanding you correctly you have code on the module level that
>
> creates a socket or opens a database. Don't do that!
>
> Put the code into functions instead. That will give the flexibility you need
>
> for all sizes of projects. For instance
>

> socket_stuff.py
>

> def send_to_socket(rows):
>
>     socket = ... # open socket
>
>     for row in rows:
>
>         # do whatever it takes to serialize the row
>
>     socket.close()
>

> database_stuff.py
>

> def read_table(dbname, tablename):
>
>     if table not in allowed_table_names:
>
>         raise ValueError
>
>     db = sqlite3.connect(dbname)
>
>     cursor = db.cursor()
>
>     for row in cursor.execute("select * from %s" % tablename):
>
>         yield row
>
>     db.close()
>

> main.py
>

> import socket_stuff
>
> import database_stuff
>

> if __name__ == "__main__":
>
>     socket_stuff.send_to_socket(
>
>         database_stuff.read_table("some_db", "some_table"))

Hello Thanks for that answer:
I think I have to write it a bit larger,

This isn't a real code, but it for better overview:
                        main.py
          /        /             \             \
Datastore  |  ModbusClient  | DaliBusClient | Advanced Scheduler

Main.py:
import Datastore
Datastore.startup()
(Everything should run in threads)

Datastore.py
# Opens a SQLite DB
# Contains Queries to serve data for other mods
# Central point for updating / Quering etc.

ModbusClient.py
# Opens TCP connection to Modbus Device
!!! Here it's interesting !!!
This module contains predefined Queries and functions
IF I START A FUNCTION a SQL should be executed in Datastore.py

DaliBusClient.py
#Lamps, etc. Functions.
# Stored Informations should be kept in Datastore
# Advanced scheduler

I don't know, Python allways looks for me like a one script "File". But there are big projects. like the the "Model of an SQL Server", using coordinators no problems running threads and exchange Data through a Backbone. I have searched a lot, but I havent find anything to write the "core" splited up into modules and geting over the scopes etc.

DO I have anything forgotten?! everything unclear?? :-P