[Help] [Newbie] Require help migrating from Perl to Python 2.7 (namespaces)

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Sat Dec 22 06:43:54 EST 2012

prilisauer at googlemail.com wrote:

> Hello, to all,
>
> I hope I can describe me problem correctly.
>
> I have written a Project split up to one Main.py and different modules
> which are loaded using import and here is also my problem:
>
> 1. Main.py executes:
> 2. Import modules
> 3. One of the Modules is a SqliteDB datastore.
> 4. A second module creates an IPC socket.
> 5. Here is now my problem :
>     The IPC Socket should run a sub which is stored ad SqliteDB and
>     returns all Rows.
>
> Is there a elegant way to solve it? except a Queue. Is it possible to
> import modules multiple?!

If you import a module more than once code on the module level will be
executed the first time only. Subsequent imports will find the ready-to-use
module object in a cache (sys.modules).

> I'm unsure because the open DB file at another
> module.
>
> How is this solved in bigger projects?

If I'm understanding you correctly you have code on the module level that
creates a socket or opens a database. Don't do that!
Put the code into functions instead. That will give the flexibility you need
for all sizes of projects. For instance

socket_stuff.py

def send_to_socket(rows):
    socket = ... # open socket
    for row in rows:
        # do whatever it takes to serialize the row
    socket.close()

database_stuff.py

def read_table(dbname, tablename):
    if table not in allowed_table_names:
        raise ValueError
    db = sqlite3.connect(dbname)
    cursor = db.cursor()
    for row in cursor.execute("select * from %s" % tablename):
        yield row
    db.close()

main.py

import socket_stuff
import database_stuff

if __name__ == "__main__":
    socket_stuff.send_to_socket(
        database_stuff.read_table("some_db", "some_table"))