What are the minimum requirements to get a job in?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Dec 14 17:58:34 EST 2012

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 09:48:54 -0500, Roy Smith wrote:

> On the other hand, as somebody who's looking to hire software engineers,
> I can tell you that we look at prior experience at Google or Facebook as
> a positive thing on a resume.

Really? What size company do you work for? Can you offer better pay and
conditions than Google or Facebook?

If somebody can to me with prior experience at Google or Facebook, my
first thought would be "Ah, couldn't cut it with the big boys huh? If you
are good enough for Google, what the hell are you doing coming to us?"

Of course, that does not necessarily rule them out of contention. I know
people who *are* good enough for Google, and left because they were
bored, or because they couldn't stand the Google culture, or just wanted
to relax with a less high-pressure job for a year or ten.

--
Steven