What are the minimum requirements to get a job in?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Fri Dec 14 09:48:54 EST 2012

In article <mailman.885.1355487496.29569.python-list at python.org>,
 Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:

> suresh.pinnapa at gmail.com, 14.12.2012 03:49:
> > My aim is to get a job into google or cisco or facebok.
>
> Why?
>
> There are lots of attractive places to work at. Choosing a less visible one
> means that you have a higher chance of getting hired in the first place,
> simply because less people aim for the same job. If it's a smaller company,
> it usually also means that you will get a more interesting job because,
> once hired, you end up working in a less crowded place with more white
> spots in the environment of pre-staked claims that you drop into. And thus,
> with a broader set of things for you to do and to try out.
>
> So you get more by investing less. Not the worst choice IMHO.

On the other hand, as somebody who's looking to hire software engineers,
I can tell you that we look at prior experience at Google or Facebook as
a positive thing on a resume.  It's the same way we look at admission to
a top-tier school.  It doesn't always mean the person is good, but it's
a positive signal that's likely to get your resume a second looks.

That being said, I've worked for companies ranging from 3 employees to
40,000 employees.  I definitely like working for the small ones better.