Python parser problem

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Dec 12 19:14:40 EST 2012

On 12/12/2012 2:10 PM, RCU wrote:
>      I would like to report a parser bug manifesting on Python 2.5, 2.7
> (but not on 2.2) and 3.3.

You are not the first to erroneously attribute a problem to Python
itself. But seriously, the interpreter itself is so thoroughly tested on
a daily basis that you should assume that a reported SyntaxError is real.

>      Please see the attached script.
>      Basically this bug appeared after applying PythonTidy on a valid
> script.

PythonTidy is much more likely to be buggy than Python itself.

>      More exactly, when running:
>      python -c "import iCam_GIT5_5"
>        I get:
>      Traceback (most recent call last):
>        File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
>        File "iCam_GIT5_5.py", line 60
>
>          ^
>      SyntaxError: invalid syntax

SyntaxErrors are sometimes reported on the line after they occur,
especially when the error is at the very end of the line and not obvious
until /n is read.

>      The "\" used in the script to break the line in 2 is a reminiscence
> of running PythonTidy-1.22.python (so fixing this bug would be directly
> relevant when using PythonTidy).

A '\' used to break a line MUST be the last character in the line. Dave
explained how your editor and PythonTidy together made a bug.

>      With this occasion I would like to ask also what are the limits of
> the Python 2.x and 3.x parser. Where can I find what are the limits on
> the size/lines of the parsed script?

Python, the language has no limits. Implementations will, but they are
larger than you will every write by hand. Auto-generated code that, for
instance, nests a tuple more than 2**16 levels deep may have problems.

--
Terry Jan Reedy