Python parser problem

Jerry Hill malaclypse2 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 15:18:45 EST 2012

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 2:10 PM, RCU <alex.e.susu at gmail.com> wrote:
>     With this occasion I would like to ask also what are the limits of the
> Python 2.x and 3.x parser. Where can I find what are the limits on the
> size/lines of the parsed script?

The Python Language Reference is probably what you're looking for:
http://docs.python.org/2/reference/index.html

See, particularly, section 2 about lexical analysis and possibly
section 9 for the grammar.  The short answer though, is that python
doesn't have any limits on the line length or the size of a script,
other than that execution will obviously fail if you run out of memory
while parsing or compiling the script.

PEP 8 (http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/) is the Python style
guide, and it does have some recommendations about line length
(http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/#maximum-line-length).  That
document suggests a maximum length of 79 characters per line, and
that's probably what PythonTidy was trying to accomplish by splitting
your line.

--
Jerry