Python parser problem

Dave Angel d at davea.name
Wed Dec 12 14:59:05 EST 2012

On 12/12/2012 02:10 PM, RCU wrote:
>   Hello.
>     I would like to report a parser bug manifesting on Python 2.5, 2.7
> (but not on 2.2) and 3.3.
>     Please see the attached script.
>     Basically this bug appeared after applying PythonTidy on a valid
> script.
>
>     More exactly, when running:
>     python -c "import iCam_GIT5_5"
>       I get:
>     Traceback (most recent call last):
>       File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
>       File "iCam_GIT5_5.py", line 60
>
>         ^
>     SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>
>     Actually, the error reported by Python is a bug, as far as I see:
> the line 60 reported in the script does not actually contain the text
> reported in the error, and this makes quite difficult locating the
> so-called error.

No, the error is on line 60.  You have blank line between each line, but
your editor apparently doesn't show you that.

Your line-endings are messed up.  Here's a dump of the first two lines.
(using hexdump -C)

00000000  43 55 52 52 45 4e 54 5f  52 45 4c 45 41 53 45 5f
|CURRENT_RELEASE_|
00000010  54 49 4d 45 20 3d 20 27  32 30 31 32 5f 31 32 5f  |TIME =
'2012_12_|
00000020  31 30 5f 31 33 5f 30 30  5f 30 30 27 0d 0d 0a 4e
|10_13_00_00'...N|

Notice that the line ends with 0d0d0a, or \r\r\n.  That's not valid.
Apparently python's logic considers that as a line ending with \r,
followed by a blank line ending with\r\n.

>     In fact the error is at script line 30: we should have all the
> code on one line, like this
>     playlistToUse = youtubeClient.AddPlaylist(playlistTitle,
> playlistTitle, playlist_private=False).
>     The "\" used in the script to break the line in 2 is a
> reminiscence of running PythonTidy-1.22.python (so fixing this bug
> would be directly relevant when using PythonTidy).

Nothing wrong with ending with a backslash for continuation.  Backslash
continues the line onto the next one, which is blank.  Remove the extra
\r there and it'll be fine.

>     With this occasion I would like to ask also what are the limits of
> the Python 2.x and 3.x parser. Where can I find what are the limits on
> the size/lines of the parsed script?

Can't help there.

--

DaveA