The curses module and licensing

Alister alister.ware at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 6 14:28:55 EST 2012

On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 19:34:04 +0100, benjamin schnitzler wrote:

> [...]
> The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included
> in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
>
> THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
> EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF
> MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
> IN NO EVENT SHALL THE ABOVE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM,
> DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR
> OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR
> THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
>
> Except as contained in this notice, the name(s) of the above copyright
> holders shall not be used in advertising or otherwise to promote the
> sale, use or other dealings in this Software without prior written
> authorization."
>
> "...to deal in the Software without restriction..."
> "...distribute, distribute with modifications, sublicense..."
>
> Sounds good. Ok, but I have to include this into all "copies or
> substantial portions of the Software" . Ok, thats a bit vague.
> And if I include this notice into my files: It sounds a bit, as if this
> would be then a copyright for them.
> Substantial portions are, I guess, the libraries themselves.
> Which are other substantial portions? Those files which extend the
> libraries maybe? I looked into the files of my /usr/lib/python2.7/curses
> directory. None of them had this text portion from above included. On
> the other hand the FAQ also states that the Free Software Foundation,
> who got hold of the copyright, had promised to use the above
> distribution terms only for 5 years, which was in 1998, so it might not
> be relevant at all. Well ok. I guess I can just leave my files, as they
> are,
> since they are no real extensions of the library. But I am not
> completely sure. If anyone has a better idea: Just let me know it.
>
> Benjamin
>

> On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 4:02 PM, Benjamin Schnitzler <
> benjaminschnitzler at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I am new to this list.
>> I have a question concerning the curses module (I am using python2.7).
>> Which license does this module have? Is it bases completely on the
>> curses library? In the documentation the following is stated:
>>
>> "The curses module provides an interface to the curses library,
>> the de-facto standard for portable advanced terminal handling."
>>
>> But also:
>>
>> "Changed in version 1.6: Added support for the ncurses library and
>> converted to a package."
>>
>> Is it maybe built on both libraries? However, the crucial point is,
>> that I want to build a curses terminal interface for some GPL software
>> project. Can You give me a hint, if that is possible (yes, I know, You
>> are no lawyers) and if and where I have to include licensing
>> informations regarding the license of curses/ncurses ?

div><div>>
> [...]
> with</div><div>modifications, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the
> Software,</div><div>and to permit persons to whom the Software is
> be</div><div>included in all copies or substantial portions of the
> IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,</div>
> WARRANTIES</div><div>OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
> PURPOSE AND</div><div>NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE ABOVE
> COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE</div><div>
> LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN
> AN</div><div>ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF
> OR IN</div><div>CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER
> DEALINGS IN THE</div><div>
> the name(s) of the above</div><div>copyright holders shall not be used
> in advertising or otherwise</div><div>to promote the sale, use or other
> dealings in this Software</div>
> Software without restriction..."</div><div>"...distribute,
> distribute with modifications, sublicense..."</div>
> "copies or</div><div>substantial portions of the Software" .
> Ok, thats a bit vague.</div><div>And if I include this notice into my
> files: It sounds a bit, as</div>
> portions are, I guess, the libraries themselves.</div><div>Which are
> other substantial portions? Those files which extend</div><div>the
> libraries maybe? I looked into the files of my </div>
> text</div><div>portion from above included. On the other hand the FAQ
> also</div><div>states that the Free Software Foundation, who got hold of
> the</div><div>
> copyright, had promised to use the above distribution terms
> only</div><div>for 5 years, which was in 1998, so it might not be
> relevant at</div><div>all. Well ok. I guess I can just leave my files,
> as they are,</div><div>since they are no real extensions of the library.
> But I am not</div>
> at 4:02 PM, Benjamin Schnitzler <span dir="ltr"><<a
> href="mailto:benjaminschnitzler at googlemail.com"
> target="_blank">benjaminschnitzler at googlemail.com</a>></span>
> wrote:<br>
> #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Hello everyone,<br>
> I am new to this list.<br>
> I have a question concerning the curses module (I am using<br>
> python2.7). Which license does this module have? Is it bases<br>
> completely on the curses library? In the documentation the<br>
> following is stated:<br>
> "The curses module provides an interface to the curses library,<br>
> the de-facto standard for portable advanced terminal handling."<br>
> But also:<br>
> "Changed in version 1.6: Added support for the ncurses library<br>
> and converted to a package."<br>
> Is it maybe built on both libraries? However, the crucial point<br>
> is, that I want to build a curses terminal interface for some GPL<br>
> software project. Can You give me a hint, if that is possible<br>
> (yes, I know, You are no lawyers) and if and where I have to<br>
> include licensing informations regarding the license of<br>

If I understand things correctly this means if you distribute the python
package (alone or as part of your application) then you need to include
the detailed section.

if you provide just your own python code & require the user to install
python & any necessary modules (which would be needed for windoze users
python is usually installed or at least included in the repository's of
most Linux Distros)then this restriction does not apply.

the copyright is for the python interpreter & modules not your own
personal code.

--
I know on which side my bread is buttered.
		-- John Heywood