Help accessing COM .dll from Python

Paul Kölle paul at subsignal.org
Sat Dec 1 19:45:20 EST 2012

Hi,

Am 01.12.2012 10:51, schrieb Steve Simmons:
> First time post - be gentle with me :-)
>
> I am trying to write a Python script to access a scanning device. I have an SDK
> for the scanner but the documentation is a bit limited and the supplier doesn't
> support Python (but Python is the best option for me in the current circumstances).
 From a quick view it seems the documentation is excellent. There are
tons of examples (even Java so you could use jython), API documents and
the SDK. The "VC SDK.pdf" from the API documents zip explains what
functions are there and how to call them. I have no idea why you used
PEExplorer, are you using a device not covered by Slib.dll?
Anyway, I suggest you forget about COM and try to load Slib.dll via
ctypes http://docs.python.org/2/library/ctypes.html and call some
functions documented in "VC SDK.pdf" and see what happens. The defines
for return codes used in the documentation are here
http://www.id-reader.com/Support/Sample_Codes/Visual_C_Plus_Plus/header_lib.rar
in SlibErrDef.h and probably others...

cheers
  Paul