Help accessing COM .dll from Python

Albert Dengg albert at fsfe.org
Sat Dec 1 08:01:49 EST 2012

On Sat, Dec 01, 2012 at 12:47:57PM +0000, Steve Simmons wrote:
> Gunther - Sorry about that, hoping this response comes through as
> plain text.
>
> Chris - Thanks for the translation and the response.  Unfortunately,
> I don't speak 'C', and I think the learning curve for Python + COM
> should be slightly less steep.
i've had some some expirience using COM from python with pywin32, which
works reasonably well if your interfaces is documented.

as for examples beeing excel centric: it does not really matter, you
just have to look the real interface you want to use in the
documentation of your libary.

there are however some pitfalls, espesially with arguments passed by
reference: there not the parameter will be modified but you will have a
tuple as a return value.

albert