Looking for an IPC solution

Laszlo Nagy gandalf at shopzeus.com
Fri Aug 31 17:10:47 EDT 2012

> Zeromq (suggested by someone) is an option since it's pretty fast for
> most purposes, but I don't think it uses shared memory.
Interesting question. The documentation says:

http://api.zeromq.org/2-1:zmq-ipc

The inter-process transport is currently only implemented on operating
systems that provide UNIX domain sockets.

(OFF: Would it be possible to add local IPC support for Windows using
mmap()? I have seen others doing it.)

At least, it is functional on Windows, and it excels on Linux. I just
need to make transports configureable. Good enough for me.
> The closest
> thing I can think of to what you're asking is MPI, intended for
> scientific computation.  I don't know of general purpose IPC that uses
> it though I've thought it would be interesting.  There are also some
> shared memory modules around, including POSH for shared objects, but
> they don't switch between memory and sockets AFAIK.
>
> Based on your description, maybe what you really want is Erlang, or
> something like it for Python.  There would be more stuff to do than just
> supply an IPC library.
Yes, although I would really like to do this job in Python. I'm going to
make some tests with zeromq. If the speed is good for local
inter-process communication, then I'll give it a try.

Thanks,

    Laszlo