sys.path in python3.3

Hans Mulder hansmu at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 27 04:39:34 EDT 2012

On 26/08/12 20:47:34, Nicholas Cole wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> In all previous versions of python, I've been able to install packages
> into the path:
>
> ~/Library/Python/$py_version_short/site-packages
>
> but in the rc builds of python 3.3 this is no longer part of sys.path.

It has been changed to

~/Library/Python/$py_version_short/lib/python/site-packages

You can find the path it's looking for in site.USER_SITE

> Before I go hacking the install, is there a reason that this path was
> removed?  Is there a recommended way to get it back, or is this a
> gentle way of pushing us all to use virtualenv rather than installing
> user-specific packages?

I don't know why it was changed.

It would be nice if there were some magic code you could use
for "install_lib" in your .pydistutils.cfg file that worked
in both 3.2 and 3.3.

-- HansM