Make error when installing Python 1.5

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Sun Aug 26 22:15:46 EDT 2012

On 27Aug2012 01:54, Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:
| Yes, you read the subject line right -- Python 1.5. Yes, I am nuts ;)
|
| (I like having old versions of Python around for testing historical
| behaviour.)
|
| On Debian squeeze, when I try to build Python 1.5, I get this error:
|
| fileobject.c:590: error: conflicting types for ‘getline’
| /usr/include/stdio.h:651: note: previous declaration of ‘getline’ was here
| make[1]: *** [fileobject.o] Error 1
| make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/steve/personal/python/Python-1.5.2/
| Objects'
| make: *** [Objects] Error 2
[...]

I would take the compile line for fileobject.c and supposing it to look
like this:

  gcc -c -blah fileobject.c

run it by hand as:

  gcc -E -blah fileobject.c >fileobject.cpp

and examine the preprocessor output (initially with grep, then with
vi/emacs).

I would expect the lines for getline to be different, with some macro
definition occuring between the first and second occurence.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>