Make error when installing Python 1.5

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sun Aug 26 21:54:42 EDT 2012

Yes, you read the subject line right -- Python 1.5. Yes, I am nuts ;)

(I like having old versions of Python around for testing historical
behaviour.)

On Debian squeeze, when I try to build Python 1.5, I get this error:

fileobject.c:590: error: conflicting types for ‘getline’
/usr/include/stdio.h:651: note: previous declaration of ‘getline’ was here
make[1]: *** [fileobject.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/steve/personal/python/Python-1.5.2/
Objects'
make: *** [Objects] Error 2

But when I do the same on Centos 5, it builds successfully and I can then
run "sudo make altinstall" to install it. What's going on here and what
do I need to do to fix this?

Grepping stdio.h gives the same content on both Centos and Debian:

$ grep getline /usr/include/stdio.h
extern _IO_ssize_t getline (char **__restrict __lineptr,

For those wanting to play around with it:

wget http://www.python.org/ftp/python/src/py152.tgz
tar xzf py152.tgz
cd Python-1.5.2/
./configure