New internal string format in 3.3

wxjmfauth at gmail.com wxjmfauth at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 12:19:31 EDT 2012

Le dimanche 19 août 2012 16:48:48 UTC+2, Mark Lawrence a écrit :
> On 19/08/2012 15:09, wxjmfauth at gmail.com wrote:
>

> > I can not give you more numbers than those I gave.
>
> > As a end user, I noticed and experimented my random tests
>
> > are always slower in Py3.3 than in Py3.2 on my Windows platform.
>

> Once again you refuse to supply anything to back up what you say.
>

> > It is up to you, the core developers to give an explanation
>
> > about this behaviour.
>

> Core developers cannot give an explanation for something that doesn't
>
> exist, except in your imagination.  Unless you can produce the evidence
>
> that supports your claims, including details of OS, benchmarks used and
>
> so on and so forth.
>

> > As I understand a little bit the coding of the characters,
>
> > I pointed out, this is most probably due to this flexible
>
> > string representation (with arguments appearing randomly
>
> > in the misc. messages, mainly latin-1).
>

> > I can not do more.
>

> > (I stupidly spoke about factors 0.1 to ..., you should
>
> > read of course, 1.1,  to ...)
>

> > jmf
>

> I suspect that I'll be dead and buried long before you can produce
>
> anything concrete in the way of evidence.  I've thrown down the gauntlet
>
> several times, do you now have the courage to pick it up, or are you
>
> going to resort to the FUD approach that you've been using throughout
>
> this thread?
>

> --
>
> Cheers.
>

> Mark Lawrence.

I do not remember the tests I'have done at the 1st alpha release
time. It was with an interactive interpreter. I precisely pay
attention to test these chars you can find in the range 128..256
in all 8-bits coding schemes. Chars I suspected to be problematic.

Here a short test again, a random single test, the first
idea coming in my mind.

Py 3.2.3
>>> timeit.timeit("('aœ€'*100).replace('a', 'œ€é')")
4.99396356635981

Py 3.3b2
>>> timeit.timeit("('aœ€'*100).replace('a', 'œ€é')")
7.560455708007855

Maybe, not so demonstative. It shows at least, we
are far away from the 10-30% "annouced".

>>> 7.56 / 5
1.512
>>> 5 / (7.56 - 5) * 100
195.31250000000003