New internal string format in 3.3

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 10:30:04 EDT 2012

On 19 August 2012 15:09, <wxjmfauth at gmail.com> wrote:

> I can not give you more numbers than those I gave.
> As a end user, I noticed and experimented my random tests
> are always slower in Py3.3 than in Py3.2 on my Windows platform.

Do the problems have a significant impact on any real application (rather
than random tests)?

Any significant change in implementation such as this is likely to have
both positive and negative performance costs. The important thing is how it
affects a real application as a whole.

> It is up to you, the core developers to give an explanation
> about this behaviour.

Unless others are unable to reproduce your observations.

If there is a big performance hit for text heavy applications then it's
worth reporting but you should focus your energy on distilling a
*meaningful* test case (rather than ranting about Americans, unicode,
latin-1 and so on).

Oscar