How to uncompress a VOB file? (Win XP)

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Aug 14 08:44:13 EDT 2012

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 12:38:24 +0100, Mark Lawrence wrote:

> On 14/08/2012 04:00, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
[...]
> For the record I was asked to use my full name rather than my user name
> on Python mailing lists.  But see also my earlier reply to you on the
> "save dictionary to a file without brackets" thread.

And thank you for your reasonable reply.

I don't remember anything about this request to use your full name. I
won't speak for others, but I support the right of people to be known by
whatever (reasonable, non-offensive) name or names they choose on
informal mailing lists like this, so long as they give *some* moniker
that others can refer to them by.

If somebody here wants to be known as "Mr Smith", or "Professor Jones",
or "Tomato Girl the Boy Wonder" for that matter, then they need only sign
their posts that way and give that in their From address, and I will use
it. The pattern "Personal-Name Family-Name" is not the only naming system
in the world.

http://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/

(However, I don't promise not to roll my eyes if they choose a silly
moniker, and I am the final arbitrator as to what counts as silly.)

--
Steven