looking for a neat solution to a nested loop problem

John Gordon gordon at panix.com
Mon Aug 6 12:03:50 EDT 2012

In <a8a7hvF8crU1 at mid.individual.net> Tom P <werotizy at freent.dd> writes:

> consider a nested loop algorithm -

> for i in range(100):
>      for j in range(100):
>          do_something(i,j)

> Now, suppose I don't want to use i = 0 and j = 0 as initial values, but
> some other values i = N and j = M, and I want to iterate through all
> 10,000 values in sequence - is there a neat python-like way to this? I
> realize I can do things like use a variable for k in range(10000): and
> then derive values for i and j from k, but I'm wondering if there's
> something less clunky.

You could define your own generator function that yields values
in whatever order you want:

def my_generator():
    yield 9
    yield 100
    for i in range(200, 250):
        yield i
    yield 5

--
John Gordon                   A is for Amy, who fell down the stairs
gordon at panix.com              B is for Basil, assaulted by bears