Looking for a good introduction to object oriented programming with Python

Jean Dubois jeandubois314 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 10:56:35 EDT 2012

On 5 aug, 20:28, Mark Lawrence <breamore... at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 05/08/2012 19:04, Jean Dubois wrote:
>

> > On 5 aug, 02:11, shearich... at gmail.com wrote:
> >> One reason you may be having difficulty is that unlike some languages (C++/Java) object-orientation is not a be all and end all in Python, in fact you could work with Python for a long time without really 'doing it' at all (well other than calling methods/properties on existing API's). Having said that here's what I would suggest ...
>
> >> Could do worse than this :
>
> >>http://www.diveintopython.net/object_oriented_framework/index.html
>
> > This example seems to tell you need the concept of dictionaries to
> > explain object oriented programming, is this really necessary?
> >> and this
>
> >>http://docs.python.org/tutorial/classes.html
> > Unfortunately, the trouble with this explanation is exactly what made
> > me ask the original question: it starts from concepts in c++ making it
> > very hard to understand for someone who does not know that language
> > already.
>
> >> read together.
>
> >> Judging by your question this is a probably a little advanced for now but you could bookmark it for the future:
>
> >>http://www.catonmat.net/blog/learning-python-design-patterns-through-...
>
> >> Here's the corresponding PDF to go with the video:
>
> >>http://assets.en.oreilly.com/1/event/45/Practical%20Python%20Patterns...
> > Can someone here on this list give a trivial example of what object
> > oriented programming is, using only Python?
>
> > thanks in advance
> > Jean
>
> Try thishttp://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles/OOP.shtml???
>
> --
> Cheers.
>
> Mark Lawrence.
Thanks, this one is a lot better. Could you just tell me what the use
is of the following lines:
"""Class docstring."""
"""Method docstring."""
"""Method docstring."""
Taken from the following code fragment (I really want to understand
every bit of code, and the author doesn't mention this)

class OurClass(object):
    """Class docstring."""

    def __init__(self, arg1, arg2):
        """Method docstring."""