Object Models - decoupling data access - good examples ?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun Aug 5 09:04:24 EDT 2012

In article <bf551938-0b08-46d5-82be-812c3521a0cd at googlegroups.com>,
 shearichard at gmail.com wrote:

> > Just out of curiosity, why do you eschew ORMs?
> >
> Good question !
>
> I'm not anti-ORM (in fact in many circs I'm quite pro-ORM) but for some time
> I've been working with a client who doesn't want ORMs used (they do have
> quite good reasons for this although probably not as good as they think).

OK, I'll re-ask the question.  What are the reasons?

> I take your point about having "rolled my own ORM" - lol - but I can assure
> you what's in that 'bardb' is a pretty thin layer over the SQL and nothing
> like the, pretty amazing, functionality of, for instance, SQLAlchemy.

So, you're opposed to ORMs in general because you find SQLAlchemy too
heavyweight.  I don't blame you; every time I look at SQLAlchemy, I go
screaming in the other direction.  But, there are other ORMs. See, for
example, http://lmgtfy.com/?q=python+orm.