Object Models - decoupling data access - good examples ?

shearichard at gmail.com shearichard at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 23:26:25 EDT 2012

> Just out of curiosity, why do you eschew ORMs?

Good question !

I'm not anti-ORM (in fact in many circs I'm quite pro-ORM) but for some time I've been working with a client who doesn't want ORMs used (they do have quite good reasons for this although probably not as good as they think).

I was interested to know, given that was the case, how you might - in Python, go about structuring an app which didn't use an ORM but which did use a RDBMS fairly intensively.

I take your point about having "rolled my own ORM" - lol - but I can assure you what's in that 'bardb' is a pretty thin layer over the SQL and nothing like the, pretty amazing, functionality of, for instance, SQLAlchemy.