Eclipse and the Python plugin

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 00:54:12 EDT 2012

On Aug 3, 10:04 pm, lipska the kat <lipskathe... at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> 117 methods seems a lot doesn't it. I'm still trying to get my head
> around Python packages, I think Eclipse will help me with this and the
> whole module mix of functions and classes is taking a while to get used
> to. The standard included libraries are pretty impressive though and it
> is certainly easier to write quick throwaway prototypes in Python.

Good that you get this early.  The python libraries are well crafted
and well documented.
They are also not over engineered so that you can get to what you want
without a loooong:
org.dada.lang.servlet.dada... (Which is also why 117 can be ok)

The thing about python that experienced C++ and Java programmers are
most likely to miss is a mode of playful working in which trying out
small pieces in the interpreter is a key part of the development
process.  (and which is why functions are ok, not just classes)

If eclipse supports this well I'd be interested to know.
If not you need to supplement eclipse with (something like)
- python inside shell
- ipython inside shell
- python inside python-mode inside emacs

[The first turns out to be a pain because import wont work more than
once, reload wont work the first time, and if you do import * nothing
will work after the first time]