Eclipse and the Python plugin

Temia Eszteri lamialily at cleverpun.com
Fri Aug 3 16:05:50 EDT 2012

On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 06:54:04 -0700 (PDT), rusi <rustompmody at gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Aug 3, 4:34 pm, lipska the kat <lipskathe... at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> A while ago someone asked me what I thought of the Eclipse plugin for
>> python, well I just downloaded and installed the latest version of
>> Eclipse for Java (Juno) followed by the Python plugin.
>
>Thanks Lipska for reporting back.
>I personally find the eclipse UI frightening but I am unwilling to
>conclude that its eclipse and not me.
>
>By comparison, when I first heard of emacs, (about 20 years ago) the
>local guru would come in the morning and start emacs then go out for a
>smoke.  When he came back it had finished started up.
>So the acronym: Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping made a lot of
>sense then.  I guess today it would have to be Eight-hundred to make
>any sense.
>
>More to the point, it seems to me that eclipse was today what emacs
>was then -- seemingly too large but in time I expect it will not seem
>so large.
>
>So one more request from me:
>
>Can you try the refactoring support and tell us how it fares?

Having used PyDev for Eclipse for a while, I can honestly say its
memory consumption, while definitely rather large for the task, isn't
so large as to cause any trouble for most modern systems. I'm able to
keep it in the background with no notable performance impact, and if I
do have to reopen it for whatever reason, it only takes about ten
seconds.

A small price to pay for easy code completion, docstrings in tooltips,
and a more user-friendly debugger (though some things like weakref
containers will happily fool it and make debugging a little more
difficult).

~Temia
--
Invective! Verb your expletive nouns!