Communication between C++ server and Python app

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Sun Apr 29 19:18:35 EDT 2012

On 29Apr2012 21:08, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
| On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> wrote:
| > On 29Apr2012 11:42, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
| > | Personally, I would recommend a TCP socket, because that allows the
| > | flexibility of splitting across multiple computers.
| >
| > And the pain of ensuring security, if you're in an open network.
|
| You have that with all IPC. You can always bind to 127.0.0.1 or ::1 to
| stop other hosts from connecting; and then it's minimal change to open
| it up.

I'm as concerned with other users as with other hosts. Hence the pleasures of
UNIX permissions on a socket. You're right, I did say "open network", didn't
I? Nonetheless, my preference stands unless a new use case arises.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Just because Unix is a multiuser system doesn't mean I want to share it with
anybody!        - Paul Tomblin, in rec.aviation.military